The best modems for fibre - htxt.africa

edited August 2016 in Site discussion

imageThe best modems for fibre - htxt.africa

Thinking about getting fibre? Wondering which router to go for? Here are a few options.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I personally love the Netgear AC1600, and would definitely recommend! I'd also recommend buying over renting: http://www.broowaha.com/articles/26019/cable-internet-the-case-for-buying-or-leasing- granted, i haven't had much renting experience, but when I moved, I already had a modem ready to go when I moved.
  • I have a feeling our service provider is taking us for a ride, I don't see how my current router will connect to the CPE. It's got two ports that look similar to the optical port on TV's or receivers. Does this mean they planned for us to then buy a special router from them, damn!
  • I have a feeling our service provider is taking us for a ride, I don't see how my current router will connect to the CPE. It's got two ports that look similar to the optical port on TV's or receivers. Does this mean they planned for us to then buy a special router from them, damn!

Hi Tlangela, that's odd. Sounds like the cable modem is missing. Can you send me a couple of pics to adam at htxt dot co dot za?
  • My service provider does not include a router in the rental cost, so I have to buy my own. They're offering the following two options: Zyxel AMG1302-T11C (R699) and ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A (R2100). My budget is certainly more towards the first option, but will it serve my needs?

I'm having a 10mbps line installed, so certainly won't be needing a router capable of 100mpbs anyway. I do need a stable connection, maximum upload and download speed, and decent wifi. Will the cheaper option do?

• Currently, I am using Netgear AC1600. It is good and useful. From my personal experience, I suggest you to try this one.

• In the process of getting fibre to home, going to opt for a 20Mbps line. Next choice is which router?

After spending R1710 for the Fibre + R999 once off to selected ISP, plus first month at R684, already looking at R3393!
    So, want a router which will deliver the speed I am paying for, and not break the bank.
    Don't mind spending a LITTLE bit more if I get better quality and reliability.

OK, with that said.
    Was looking around and came across this ASUS N600 2.4 GHz for R1269.
    Review on site is amazing, but is it just sales pitch?
    Any comments on whether this will do the job and if it is good value for money?
    Oh, we will have 3 users online at any one time, normal surfing, watching youtube and some downloading of movies.
    Comments?

• The good thing I like about Netgear is that, most of their modems do not have any antenna but their range are really good. :) :) :)